Dischem DeliverD - The Worst Online Shopping System I Have Ever Come Across

Today I need to emphasize just how bas a user experience Dischem offers through its delivery on demand online shopping service called DeliverD. In contrast to their main online shopping offering, DeliverD is supposed to bring the convenience of "delivery within 60 minutes in selected areas", according to Dischem's web page for DeliverD.

I have checked time and again that DeliverD and Dischem Online Shopping have my correct address and delivery instructions. They do, but the first hint of bad design is that they have a separate customer profile for each service, so I have to check my address and other details in two places. I cannot at all fathom why they need this instead of one shared customer profile for all of Dischem's online services.

The worst is still to come. Every single time I have used DeliverD, I have had a phone call from the delivery driver asking for my complex name and unit number. That's why I have checked my address on both damned services so many times. My experience this morning was the last straw, and I ended up swearing on Twitter and screaming at the poor support person that eventually phoned me. I must mention that despite me complaining on Twitter every time I have used DeliverD, this is the first time they have contacted me and explained their atrocious service.

I placed my order using their Android app at 06:04 this morning, in the hope of an early delivery. My deliver was scheduled for 10:00, I guess because they are half aware of how inefficient their system is. The store that processes my orders opens at 08:30, and a delivery person could be in and out with my order before 09:00, but I'll allow them that one hour grace period they need.

At 09:41 I had the first call from the delivery person, telling me that my delivery instructions didn't work, and when they dialed my unit from the complex gate intercom, they were told they had dialed an invalid number. I knew immediately they had gone to the wrong complex, but I made sure they had the correct number to dial and gave them the correct complex name. I didn't understand why they had that wrong in the first place, but these things do happen with online shopping.

The next call from the driver was from a different and still wrong complex, so I clearly explained where my complex was in our street, and made sure they had the correct name, because there are a number of complexes that look identical and have similar names, so drivers can easily be confused. 

To my utter dismay this driver then explained to me that they weren't given the address details, only GPS coordinates, and that despite already being in the correct street and not further than 2km away, they had already spent too much time looking for my complex, and that they were returning my order to the store with notice that they could not find reach my house. 

I was furious, and "shouted and cursed" on Twitter again, because I find complaining about things like this on Twitter, in public, to be much more effective that quietly complaining to Dischem on some private channel. This works wonders with any business that has a Twitter account. 

Dischem support replied to my tweet asking for my order number, and this brought to light more idiocy in their business processes for DeliverD: their app doesn't give the user any order number, and their support people were not even aware of this! I angrily informed them of this, and gave them my contact details, despite these being available on my DeliverD profile. I simply can't understand why only the delivery driver had my phone number, but support had to ask me for it. 

I gave them my number and email address with little hope of any action on their part, but at 13:11, a person phoned from some support office and explained that my order had been returned to the store as undeliverable and that I would be refunded the cost of my purchases. I was furious and blew up at the poor support person, saying that just wasn't good enough, and that they must attempt another delivery, a very easy task when the delivery person actually has a destination address. This person then explained to me that the drivers were never given address details like the complex name. 

They asked me to calm down, and I tried without success. I still thought I was close to having a heart attack, but I at least managed to stop shouting. Then they told me they would instead arrange a credit on the system and another delivery. This time they would make an exception and give the delivery person my full address. I must now just order again, using the credit, and hope for a successful delivery, although I just know they won't deliver on their 60 minutes promise, and I will only get my goods tomorrow.

Checkers Sixty60 also promise delivery within 60 minutes, but they at least give their drivers the customer's address. They also often deliver in less than 30 minutes after I places my order.

Does anyone reading this understand how a company can run a delivery service without giving their drivers any address details? Without their support people being able to obtain my contact details from Dischem themselves? And without them being aware that this is a problem, a terrible way of doing business?

Comments